Monday, April 26, 2010

10 honest scraps from me

Jessica inspired me to try this. Let's see how it goes:

Someone asked me once to describe myself with one word, and without hesitation, I said "mother." Of course at that time my kids were still at home and they were a huge focus and priority in my life and me in theirs. But that has really been true for me my whole life. I remember talking to myself (yes, I do that) when I was in high school, and wondering how I was going to have babies without a husband. I LOVE being a mom, LOVED every moment with my children, through all their ages and stages, challenges and joys, and now I LOVE being a grandma!!!

Another huge part of me and what makes me who I am is that I'm a cancer survivor. When you go through it, it is something that never leaves you... it is a constant in your life... not only because of the repercussions of the treatments (and there are some that I will have to live with forever), but because of the changes that occurred DURING treatment emotionally. I found out that I was a strong person when I had to be. I know faith played the biggest role there, but I was encouraged that I didn't fall apart, and that I handled things pretty well. I gained a new perspective on life, which emphasizes that one should really "stop to smell the roses" as they say; and express to those that you love what you mean to them on a regular basis, and not wait for another opportunity, which may never come.

I am "anti-judgmental." I have a really hard time with judgmental people. I also can't stand sarcasm. But then again, does that mean I'm judging sarcastic people?

I have a fear of heights. I never thought so until recently, now I find that parts of my body get this weird tingly feeling when I am up too high on a ladder or I'm looking down on something steep, and I have to get down to safe ground asap.

I hate spit. Period. Why do some men think that is ok to do in front of people?

I can't stand reality shows. Do those people forget that there are cameras in their face recording everything they say and do? Even so, why do I watch some of these programs? They are a downer. And speaking of TV... I watch too much.

People tell me I'm creative... but I'm not. I'm very crafty, I love making things and have given handmade gifts since junior high school, but I'm not creative. I'm a great copycat.

I'm an insomniac. Always have been. My Daddy told me that he never saw me completely asleep. Every time he would come into the room to check on me or my sisters, I would say "hi Daddy." It's true. I can rest, though, and I can lay perfectly still for the longest time and actually rest, even if I'm not sleeping. Comes with practice. I don't beat myself up about it anymore, and I get up in the morning and go to work and I do fine... most of the time.

I'm athletic. I had so much fun as a kid... it was always great being the captain of the team or picked first. I think about that now, and I wonder if I was nice and kind to those that may not have had that advantage in sports... I don't think so.

I love food way too much. Bummer. What's that saying... "I live to eat"... it should be "eat to live." I'm working on that. Always. For the rest of my life.

4 comments:

Crystal said...

And I LOVE reality shows. Hmm. I love that they forget they have a camera in their face (I'm giggling out loud right now at the fact we are so polar opposite in this area).

You are SO creative. Copying is part of getting those creative juices flowin!

Jessica said...

fun... I love learning new stuff about people :)

I'm with Crystal.... I love reality shows :)

I had no idea you were a lifelong insomniac... you have my sympathy in that area. I'm glad you can at least function well.

Rhonda said...

I'm with you - I'm not a big fan of reality TV either.
And I hate it when people spit in front of me.
And I'm a good copycat, but not really creative on my own (that's what I have Bruce for:))

Christy said...

Oh shoot I am a bit sarcastic but I like to think of it as quick witted. ;) I remember what a great softball player you were. Werent those days fun!!!