Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Affirmation

I think this is an extraordinarily important word. I befriended a guy once who was going through a divorce, and I asked him what he felt was lacking in his marriage. He thought for a moment, and said "affirmation." Wow, I didn't expect that answer. There were many other choices he could have made that I don't need to list. I've never forgotten that, it was a very valuable lesson for me. I realized then how important it is to affirm all the people in our lives that we care about. Here are the official definitions:

Affirmation:
1 a: the act of affirming
b: something affirmed
c: a positive assertion
2 a solemn declaration made under the penalties of perjury by a person who conscientiously declines taking an oath

Affirm:
1. a: validate , confirm
b: to state positively
2: to assert (as a judgment or decree) as valid or confirmed
3: to express dedication to

2 comments:

Crystal Keilers, that's me. said...

Have you been a fly on my wall lately? Seriously! THis is exactly what God has been impressing on my heart. I'm mean "exactly" what has been on my heart. I think as women we see men as strong and independent and we don't realize how much they need to be affirmed. And most women have an "inner critic" that won't shut up. But I've purposed in my heart to affirm (not criticize) my wonderful hubby once a day, and i'm realizing the small stuff matters.

GREAT point! Great post :).

Christy said...

thank you for that post. We went and saw Fireproof and it just reminded me that it is so important for Dan to HEAR that he is a great husband, Dad, leader.